Authorities in the Chinese city of Wuhan say they have begun to remove checkpoints. These were placed in January to stem the spread of the virus. Also, since then, all 11 million residents of Wuhan had to be quarantined. The traffic that Wuhan tries to enter is still being blocked.
To celebrate the slow start of public life, fireworks have been lit in various places in Wuhan, as can be seen in videos released by Chinese media. Residents of Wuhan are happy to remove the checkpoints, according to state channel CCTV.
Since Tuesday, people who have had no symptoms for at least seven days can go outside for a short time. But it is still forbidden to travel freely through Wuhan.
The positive reports from Wuhan are also read with suspicion. A resident tells South China Morning Post that she does not believe the outbreak is over.
“I think it is safer to stay at home,” she says. People would also mistrust each other because they think they are infected.
The Chinese health organization announced today that a further 49 people have been corona infected across China since yesterday. It is said to be a group of exchange students who have returned from Europe and the US.
Authorities say that there are now 81,008 people infected with the corona virus. The death toll has risen by seven to 3,255 since yesterday.